Friday, March 11, 2011

Fruit Snacks

In an effort to cut down on the sugar intake at home, I decided to try making fruit snacks. According to Harry, Fruit snacks are their own food group and the most important. I was hoping this would save me some money - but it doesn't. However, you can make any flavor you want (Jeff requested lime), colors for a birthday party and you could most likely layer the flavors for some stripey looking fruit snacks like...strawberry banana..mmmm.....

These do not taste as good as store bought, but they also don't have all the extra stuff that you just don't need. It really is nice to know that I can make these if I don't want to go to the store and I can make them sugar free :)


1 3-oz package of your choice flavored jello
2 packs unflavored gelatin (each box at the store comes with 4 packs)
1/3 c water

Whisk it together in a small pot over medium heat until the jello and gelatin have completely dissolved.

You might find another way to do this, but my brilliant hubby Jeff grabbed our massive turkey flavor injector and I used it :) It worked great! Definitely easiest.

A flexible candy mold is probably easier than a small ice cube tray. Use cornstarch to lightly cover the hole thingies so you can get them out a little easier. You can also fill a cookie sheet with cornstarch and poke holes in the starch with the end of a wooden spoon and use it as a mold. This method is quite messy. Not that I've ever tried it or placed it on the toaster and had it fall to the floor and make a horrible mess that I'm still trying to clean up....
I used a toothpick to get them out and it was a pain - but the only way I could think of. And that's how I roll.

They really are yummy and make for a great snack that won't make your kids all hyper and also helps me quench that need for sugar.

1 comment: